Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I Did a Bad Thing

Yes, it involves paint, but no, I did not paint the fireplace bricks.  Upon further consideration, I think that waiting, and possibly holding off entirely,  is wise.


But I did paint the walls in a color that I'll call "Smurf".

People always say that paint is the easiest thing to change.......just buy another gallon.......just repaint the room.   Who are they kidding?  Paint is not free.  Benjamin Moore paint is especially not free.  And I spent the whole dang day turning our music room into Smurfdom.


These pictures are not capturing the aversiveness of the color.  It's even darker now that it's all dried.  It's bad.  It's really bad.  It's like a little boy's room.  A little boy's room with a Caribbean theme.  Why oh why did I not get the sample cans?  My decorating self esteem is shot.

8 comments:

Stefanie said...

Really? Because it looks really pretty to me! I love pale blue... maybe you'll like it better once you have the room all finished?
Here's to hoping Smurfs in the Caribbean grows on you :)

Jessika said...

If it makes you feel any better, I've bought a true smurf blue paint before and painted. It was horrible. We're talking a real smurf blue, not a light blue.

I think your room looks great in the photos, but I understand-- it's YOU that has to like it. Have you tried Behr's envision tool? They have sample rooms where you can throw paint on online. Their colors are usually brighter in-person and a smidge darker, but at least you can figure out what direction you want to go. Have you thought about a light mocha color?

Amy said...

It sure looks pretty in the picture. Hope it grows on you or you muster up the strength to repaint.

It looks like a happy room.

Life frome where we are said...

borchI agree....it does look pretty in the pics. Maybe once you get stuff on the walls it will grow on you! Or not!

Joy said...

It looks really good in the picture, but I can understand if it's not what you expected. We have baby blue walls that were supposed to be gray.

Michael and Denise said...

I know we were shocked a little at how bright the colors in our home were after we moved in. And that in the upstairs hallway, you get to see pretty much the whole rainbow if you look into the kids rooms. Also, to go back to your fireplace post, we recently re-tiled ours. Have you thought about just tiling over the brick? Painting bricks is such a pain.

Eileen said...

I can agree that on my computer screen, the color doesn't look quite so Smurfish. In real life, it certainly does....or DID. I'm painting and I'm loving the new color!

Tammy said...

Eileen! You've got to pick yourself up and start all over again. Don't give up! I know just how you feel! I was at Pottery Barn one year and fell in love with the soft, warm, cream color on their walls. Well, apparantly their lighting is WAY different than mine. I bought the paint color and it looked bright yellow on my living room walls. You're right..it is a pain to paint a room. Here's a tip though..you can buy a cheaper paint and have them tint it the Benjamin Moore color. I did that. Good luck! I have faith in you that it will turn out beautifully!