Friday, February 3, 2012

Decisions, Decisions


I think that painting the fireplace was the right move.  I like the white, but that mouse just simply must have milk to go with that dang cookie....

Do you think now that the mantle is white, the brick looks wrong?  I asked Lyle yesterday what he thought about painting the brick and he very quickly said he'd prefer I not.


But looking at the blues, I'm just not sure about the brick.


On Layla's Lettered Cottage, she painted brick with a pretty fantastic result.


But I'm no Layla by a long stretch.


So I remembered that we had some black construction paper and I made a little mock-up. 
What do you think?


In the end, I want something that feels like this room.


Although I'll be the first to admit that I can't necessarily imagine 
this little man sitting on that lovely couch.  
Jumping off of it, maybe.

7 comments:

Stefanie said...

I LOVE the brick! I say leave it, once you get the room done if you still want to paint it, it'd be a snap to do then. But if you do paint it, and wish you hadn't, it'd be impossible to strip without a big hassle.
Can't wait to see the finished result!

Jessika said...

YoungHouseLove (their blog is fabulous!) recently painted their fireplace white. While I love exposed brick, I will also agree that it just doesn't work in every room. I would keep an exposed red brick wall in a heartbeat, but i would not choose to have a red brick fireplace. You'll get a lot of people arguing for the brick, but if it makes you happy, I say go with it. Just make sure you don't think you will ever paint the room a color where you'll want the red brick!

Life frome where we are said...

You could try whitewash on the brick...that way some of the color show through.
Loved seeing that smile!

Kelly said...

Leave the brick. Brick is classic, and paint on brick cannot be removed. I'm with Lyle on this- sorry!

Loren said...

I'm not in love with the brick, but I don't think it looks wrong either. In the interests of marital harmony, it might be better to finish the rest of the room and then see how you and Lyle feel about it.
More pics and news of XiXi please!

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doreen said...

I really like the look of Lyla's, but there is a big difference; her mantel and hearth take the edge off of the black and white and give it a softer look, which looks like it would go perfectly in your home. Just a thought. I am with other comments that suggest you wait until the rest of the room is complete because once you paint it...there's no goin back. I think you did the right thing painting the trim. It looks great.