Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Well, I can tell you what his name ISN'T

In the interest of family solidarity and happiness, I asked my husband to reconsider the name we'd originally chosen: Owen.  He said that it was his least favorite, but if it's what I wanted, he'd learn to love it.  "O.K.," I told him, "so I'm calling L.L. Bean and will have it monogrammed on a Christmas stocking.  If I do that, we're committed.  You're fine with that?"  "Yes," he said, "name him Owen."

I called L.L. Bean within the hour and felt at peace that the decision was finally behind us.  I planned to keep the name a secret from the kids until we decorated for Christmas.   They'd find the new stocking in the box with all of the decorations and ornaments, and they'd cheer and celebrate and we'd sip our hot chocolates and make a toast to our little boy.  At least that's what I'd imagined.

And then I got this from my husband....
"It just doesn't look right."

Lyle said he'd tried to like it.  He'd really tried, but it just had no meaning for him.  Each one of our children's names has meant something to us, something beyond us just liking the sound.  And so the name Owen wasn't meant to be.  For us.  But if you happen to know of anyone expecting an Owen, let them know where they can get an awesome deal on a stocking.

5 comments:

Mom2Six said...

So, is it Levi!?!??!?!

eliana23 said...

We have an Owen, nearly 2, forced onto my husband through my excessive magnet writing on the fridge. It is working out well for us.

Email me if you really want to sell the stocking, I could go for it.
elianaosborn at gmail

Eileen said...

Eliana,

Merry Christmas! You can have it for your sweet little Owen!

Katie said...

If it's any consolation, Nathan hated the name Kasen too. In fact he was dead set against it. I pressed, and so we have our little Kasen and I couldn't imagine him being anyone else :)

Terynn said...

Well, I appreciate Lyle's candor. He could have waited and told you at his sealing, but that really wouldn't feel right. :)

I still like Levi ...