Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Powerless

Have you ever watched that show "Everest" and contemplated your odds of reaching the summit?  I've always known that I wouldn't make it past base camp.  I have toes that freeze when the temperatures plummet below about 70 degrees.  So when we lost power on Monday and the temperature outside was in the teens, I knew we were in dire straits.

Bruder was huddled up with friends and the rest of put on coats and hats and multiple layers of socks.  We do have a gas fireplace, four of them actually, but they all have electric switches to turn them on rendering them useless.  Yesterday we brought sleeping bags and and pillows and lots of board games to Lyle's dental office and we've been here since, contemplating Thanksgiving dinner at a local restaurant.

6 comments:

~T~ said...

DON'T STAY THERE! COME TO OUR HOUSE!

Ashley said...

Stay warm. If you have a large candle lighter you can light the gas fireplaces manually. :)

We're about to venture out to my mom's for Thanksgiving on Whidby. Well see how far we get. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

jajb.lilly said...

I have been reading about everyone out there being without power on facebook. I thought of you all as I took the kids to the park in seventy five degree weather yesterday!!! Our nice weather didn't last and it is back in the forties today. Seriously, stay warm! Miss you!

Terynn said...

Imagine my surprise!

I expected this post to be about an unforeseen twist or turn in the roller coaster ride of adoption.

Well, this will be a Thanksgiving to forget, er, umm, I mean, to remember. :)

Tammy said...

I'm so sorry Eileen! We had a white knuckle drive getting here to Burley. We had total white out conditions and I was really worried because it was soooo cold outside. It took us an hour and fifteen minutes to get to Granny's house after getting off the freeway. A kind stranger in a truck helped us get through the blinding wind/snow. Stay safe and warm!

Kelly said...

Fly out here and feast with us! No electricity is not so fun.