Friday, April 20, 2007

Hair Issues

It's fairly customary in China for infant and toddler girls to get their heads shaved. Our adoption coordinator in China said it helps them to have beautiful, thick hair when they grow up. Looking at poor Maya's sad head of hair, I must say that I'm almost tempted to pull out the clippers!


It's growing at the top and we have enough for some respectable bug antennae, but the sides stubbornly refuse to grow.


Unfortunately the back is also growing quite well. Adam commented the other day, "Isn't her hairstyle called a mullet?" I suppose it is.


Didn't I promise you'd see more of the picture face? This, once again, is the "picture face delay".


I trimmed up Maya's bangs today because she had a few hairs that were straggly looking, but obviously most of it is still pretty short. Now that it's a little more even, I think it just looks like I cut way too much off on top!


In this photo, Maya jumped out and yelled, "Surprise!!" It did surprise me because that's the first time she's ever done that! I'm so happy I got it on film. What a funny girl!


When and if her hair ever does grow, I do think it will be beautiful. It's very shiny and smooth and for the first time I'll be dealing with a non-curly female head of hair. Lyle tries to spray Maya's head with water and do the "scrunch" technique that works quite well with our curly heads, but I think no amount of scrunching will do the job on Maya's head!


Although this has nothing to do with hair, I want to share a sweet Maya story that just warmed my heart last night. I was putting her to bed, a time when she's always snuggly and sweet, and she said without any prompting, "I love you, Mama." Then she blew me a kiss. Any stress or expense incurred with bringing her home is such a distant memory. She is such a blessing.

No comments: