Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Times, They are A-Changin'

There's change with every new school year, generally good, getting-organized, moving into Fall type changes.
But in the change department, the 2012/2013 school year, puts all other years to shame.

The biggest change happened one week ago today.


When we dropped our oldest off at BYU Idaho for college.


We'd been in move-out mode for a few weeks, going through certificates, old jerseys, yearbooks, ancient stuffed animals, all things that could make a mother get a little misty-eyed.

The siblings?  Well, you'll notice some pink items hanging in his closet.  Cholita and XiXi had effectively moved into his room before he'd moved out.  With 5 kids, when a bedroom becomes available, it's big news.

Rose is now the sole occupant of her own room down the hall......more on that later.


I wish I'd gotten photos of moving Bruder into his apartment, but it was such a busy, blur of a day--moving boxes, organizing, grocery shopping, buying books--that the camera never left the car.

He did send me this photo of him and his roommate in the college broadcasting center.  
I texted him that I hoped that they weren't matching on purpose.
He responded, "No, it was an accident, but the girls think it's adorable."

In this week that he's been gone, we've noticed a few things:
*We have leftovers for the first time in years!
*I do far less laundry.
*The house is quieter.
*We laugh just a little bit less.

We miss him.


Moving on.

This one is also at a new school--the high school!  She turns 16 next month and has been in driver's ed. and now that Bruder is away from home, she has begun her "rule and reign" as the oldest.
She promises to be nice to her subjects.


Big changes for our writer girl too.  She is now at the middle school and thankfully loving it.
With our big room swap, Rose is thrilled with her new tweenager room, which we'll reveal as soon as I figure out a way to re-cover some lamp shades. (Any advice from experienced seamstresses would be appreciated!)


Cholita thinks the location of her new room is great, at the top of the stairs and right next door to a bathroom!  For the first time, she's at school all day and gets to bring a lunchbox!


And last but not least, XiXi.
He's a kindergartener now and loving the top bunk of the bunk bed.  Downstairs, we hear a loud thud every morning as he insists on bypassing the ladder.

He's not relishing being the only boy in the family (besides Dad, of course), and is hanging out more with Franklin.

Five kids, five different schools.
I have to keep my schedule with me at all times because I can't keep things like this in my head:
Cholita's bus arrives at 4:17, except on Wednesdays when it comes at 3:37,
Lucy's bus comes at 3:03, except on Thursdays when it comes at 1:33,
Rose's bus comes at 2:58, except when it comes at 2:08....

In a nutshell, everyone is growing up too fast.
But it's good.
Saying goodbye to Bruder, I didn't shed a tear.
Lyle complimented me on steeling myself, but I just didn't feel it.
 He's ready.  It's time.  He's in a great place.

And then before we'd even stopped for the night,
he sent a text that said, "Thanks.  I love you guys."
And then I cried!

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh goodness! I have 2 more years until my oldest is off to college, and I already get a bit woozy when I think about it. So I don't. Or at least I try not to. Sigh.

Danae said...

WOW those are some huge changes! I cannot believe how grown up they all are. It doesn't seem like that much time has past since we moved, but this post makes me realize it really has been a long time!

Life frome where we are said...

The last sentence got me.....it doesn't matter how old they get you will still shed tears!!!!

Kelly said...

That text just made me cry!

Tammy said...

What an exciting time for Bruder! You've done a great job preparing him for this next phase. I love seeing all the different bus schedules-I can relate! And I had to chuckle at the thought of Xixi jumping off the bed each morning.