Sunday, March 8, 2009

German Pancakes 101

Hello everyone. Eileen has granted me temporary, provisional, short-term, just-this-once guest blogger privileges so that I can respond to some of the requests for the German Pancake recipe seen on her recent Valentine's Day post. She's frantically hovering around me right now making sure I don't completely ruin her blog. I feel like a four-year-old who has just been given the chance to hold the new family baby.

German Pancakes (or pannekoeken if you're Lisa)

6 eggs (Egg Beaters puff even better)
1 Cup White Flour
1 Cup Milk
1 tsp salt

1/4 Cup Butter

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut the butter into pieces and place in a 9 X13 pan and put in the oven while it preheats. Put the eggs, flour, milk, and salt in the blender and let your three-year-old turn it on. (Try and get the lid on before she pushes the button if possible). When the oven has preheated, the butter should be melted. Give the egg mixture one more whir for good measure and pour it into the hot pan. Close the over door and turn on the oven light. No need to set the timer. Just park one of your kids in front of the oven and have them give you updates. They'll say something like. "Hey Dad, it's starting to puff." Then, "Wow, Dad, its getting puffier." and finally "WOOOOOW, it's climbing out of the pan!" Then it's ready (about twenty minutes if you lack a kiddie timer). Get it out quick and admire it in all its puffy German glory because it doesn't last long. Robert Frost and Pony Boy both said it. "Nothing gold can stay."

Our family and members of the Greasers I'm told both prefer German Pancakes topped with strawberries. Slice them up, add some sugar and a little lemon juice and let them sit for a few minutes. Powdered sugar is good too. Just don't inhale when taking a bite or you'll likely start coughing and shoot a partially chewed pancake fragment across the table onto the plate of your fellow diner. If it is a family member, you'd likely be O.K. If it's a Greaser you're in for some fist-a-cuffs.

13 comments:

Shama said...

Lyle, Jon really appreciated the
"Outsiders" reference. Very few people can pull off quoting Ponyboy AND Robert Frost in the same sentence. If you'd have just pulled off a Soda Pop quotation you'd have been his new literary hero.

Kelly said...

Oh Lyle! You are just as funny as the original author of this blog. You need to start one of your own for us to read. Thank you for the recipe you have shared with us. Tell Johnny it was all worth it man!

Jen Bay said...

We'll have to give this a try. Clearly I am deprived, having not seen "Outsiders" to completely appreciate the reference, but the picture! Ah, that's a blast from the past.

Fireball said...

Nice job, Lyle. I'm with Kelly - when are you starting your own blog? I liked the bit about feeling like a 4 year old holding a newborn - perfect!

Christine said...

We love German Pancakes too! If you want to try a twist on the recipe, try making them in muffin tins - we like the extra crust. We'll have to try them with the powdered sugar and strawberries ... that sounds divine!

Terynn said...

But I thought Johnny made the reference to "stay gold".

Ahhh...who can recall, not me, I can't correclty set my alarm for work, the day after DST, so anyhoo...

I may have to try the German pancakes out for the sake of the grandson. He will make a great kidtimer!! Thanks!

Nana said...

German Pancakes are great. I just did a post on them too.

Kelly said...

Pony Boy reads the poem about 'nothing gold can stay' and Johny is the one who interprets the poem to mean that youth is the thing that cannot stay. He cracks it open while he's lying on his stomach in the hospital suffering from burn injuries after going into that flaming church to save those two kids. (Sheesh, what am outsiders memory I have there). Jen Bay, you gotta rent it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Kelly for your expertise. You are clearly an insider when it comes to outsiders. Maybe you can answer another question: Who in their right mind goes into a burning building with that much hair product?

Lyle

Kelly said...

Lyle,

Only a greaser who's been reading too much Gone With the Wind I suppose. Perhaps he was still chilled from sleeping in parks with only newspaper for protection...

Kelly

PS Got any chocolate cake recipes I can eat while watching Mickey Mouse on TV later?

Catherine said...

We made this tonight and it was deeelicious! Thanks for the recipe!

My 3yo also says thanks for adding the parts where she gets to turn on the blender and watch the oven! :o)

Rebecca said...

My old babysitter was German and made what I think she called "schmarn" that looks like this recipe. Does anyone know if this is the same thing, or have you heard of it??

Kristy said...

Rebecca, I know this post is a year old but I thought I'd answer you anyway, just in case.
I grew up with my Mother making this. On the phone with her right now and she says thieves are the ingredients. The only difference is she cooked hers in a big pan on the stove top. We topped our with either a Rhubarb sauce or a strawberry sauce.